Natural Pet Food Donated to Pets in Need for the Holiday Season
TEWKSBURY, Mass. – (December 29, 2011) – In the spirit of the season, WellPet, LLC, makers of premium natural pet food and treats brands Wellness®, Holistic Select® and Old Mother Hubbard®, spread some holiday cheer to pets across the country who are awaiting adoption. Through its charitable arm, the WellPet Foundation, the company provided more than 110,000 pounds of food and treats to shelters and rescue organizations during the month of December – roughly enough food to feed 30,000 pets in need. The Foundation is committed to giving back to the world we share with our pets by supporting organizations and activities dedicated to the well-being of dogs and cats. Donation recipients included:
- Beagle Freedom Project -- Beagle Freedom Project is a project of ARME (Animal Rescue, Media & Education), a non-profit 501(c)(3) dedicated to rescuing animals in need. The group recently rescued 41 beagles from a Spanish laboratory and brought them back to the United States for adoption, where they received Old Mother Hubbard treats to help with their training.
- National Greyhound Adoption Program -- National Greyhound Adoption Program was founded in Philadelphia, PA in 1989 to help find loving, adoptive homes for former racing greyhounds. The group also aims to provide superior knowledge and support for greyhound adopters and other adoption groups, educate the public and spread awareness about the plight of the greyhound, and provide specialized medical care specifically geared towards the greyhound. The program received over 30,000 pounds of food to help care for greyhounds awaiting adoption.
- Bideawee -- Bideawee, which means “stay awhile,” in Scottish, is one of the country’s oldest and most respected animal welfare and pet adoption organizations. Founded in 1903 by Mrs. Flora Kibbe, Bideawee has been providing shelter, care and compassion to homeless animals in helping them to find their forever homes for over 100 years. Bideawee is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) humane animal organization and 100 percent of Bideawee’s funding comes from
private sources. The group provided Wellness treats to pups who had their photos taken with Santa, as well as new adoptive families. In addition, treats were provided to Bideawee’s pet therapy volunteers.
- Pet Rescue Bank -- The Rescue BankSM Pet Food Distribution Program supports the pet rescue community with a network of regional affiliates – pet food distribution centers. These centers receive truckload donations scheduled by Rescue Bank SM and distribute pallet quantities to qualified groups. Their Pet Food Distribution Program allows rescue organizations to transfer part of their food budget to much needed services such as spay/neuter or other medical bills. “You have no idea how much the donation of Wellness Pet Food helps us. Through our national network, we’re able to get healthy, high-quality food to small rescues who otherwise wouldn’t have the resources to attract major donors,” said Elizabeth Asher, Executive Director of Rescue Bank. “With this donation, they’re able to dedicate more resources toward spaying, neutering, and rescuing needy pets.”
- Adopt a Boxer Rescue -- Adopt A Boxer Rescue is an all-volunteer charitable organization formed to rescue, rehabilitate, and re-home unwanted and abandoned boxer dogs within the northeast United States. Working within Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont, the group’s efforts include hands-on rescue and education. Its volunteers strive to inform others about the realities of pet ownership, promote neutering, and encourage responsible care. More than 30,000 pounds of food were donated to help care for boxers throughout the rescue’s northeast network.
- Our Lil’ Bit of Heaven Animal Rescue and Sanctuary – Our Lil’ Bit of Heaven is an Indiana-based no-kill, non-profit, animal rescue and sanctuary. “This donation of Holistic Select pet food will help us get through the tough winter months,” said Joyce Deckard, director of the rescue. “We are very strict on what the fur kids here eat and it is wonderful to have a donation received of such high quality food for them,”
- Church Community Services – Church Community Services of Elkhart, IN is a faith-based interdenominational non-profit agency that assists people in crisis and empowers them to move out of poverty. Recently, the organization has seen an increase in individuals in need of pet food in addition to human food pantry donations.
- Companion Golden Retriever Rescue -- Companion Golden Retriever Rescue located in West Jordan, Utah, is a 501(c)(3) Non-profit organization dedicated to the rescue and rehabilitation of homeless Golden Retrievers that works to place loving Golden Retrievers into permanent homes. The rescue received Old Mother Hubbard treats to help feed and reward the Golden Retrievers currently in its care.
- Best Friends Animal Society -- Best Friends Animal Society is a nonprofit organization building no-kill programs and partnerships that will bring about a day when there are No More Homeless Pets®. The society’s leading initiatives in animal care and community programs are coordinated from its Kanab, Utah, headquarters, the country’s largest no-kill sanctuary. The sanctuary received nearly 18,000 pounds of food a treats from WellPet, including Wellness Small Breed Just for Puppy food to help feed its littlest residents and Old Mother Hubbard treats.
“WellPet has an unwavering commitment to providing the very best for the pets who depend on us,” said Chanda Leary-Coutu, Senior Manager, Marketing Communications. “We are proud to donate to these worthy organizations to help sustain the dogs and cats in their care while they wait to meet their new families.”
Throughout the course of 2011, the WellPet Foundation provided monetary, food and in-kind donations to nearly two dozen pet welfare organizations nationwide. To learn more, please visit www.wellpet.com/wellpet-foundation.aspx.
About WellPet, LLC: WellPet is home to the family of premium pet food brands including Wellness®, Old Mother Hubbard®, Eagle Pack® and Holistic Select®. For more than 100 years, WellPet has delivered on the promise of doing whatever it takes to make the healthiest natural products for the pets that depends on us. Today, our team of animal lovers, nutritionists and vets at WellPet are committed to carrying forth our strong heritage, continuing to find new ways to bring innovation, nutritional excellence and product quality to our family of natural brands, always putting pet health first.
About The WellPet Foundation®: Responsibility, Passion, Commitment
At WellPet, we are committed to giving back to the world we share with our pets. Through the WellPet Foundation, we support organizations and activities that promote the power of natural nutrition and the benefits of healthy, active lifestyles. Learn more at www.wellpet.com/wellpet-foundation.aspx.